Shadows of Acheron
Stoneshard Gem Necklace
Artifact Gem in a necklace imbued with the power of Stone
The gem in this necklace is deep ruby red in color, and is flawlessly cut. If you look into it, you see a warm glow deep within.
Neck slot magic item. Functions as a Cloak of the Gargoyle as follows:
- Enhancement bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will.
- Property – You gain an item bonus to Intimidate checks equal to the necklace’s enhancement bonus (as the Earth around you shakes and rocks fly around).
- Utility Power (Polymorph) – Daily Utility (Standard Action) – Effect: You take the form of a stone statue that looks like you. While in this form, you gain tremorsense 10 and an amount of resistance to all damage according to the table below, and you gain 5 temporary hit points at the start of each of your turns.You can take actions only to spend your second wind or to end this effect (a minor action).
Item Enhancement Bonus Resistance In Statue Form
1 Resist 15 to all damage.
2 Resist 20 to all damage.
3 Resist 25 to all damage.
4 Resist 30 to all damage.
5 Resist 35 to all damage.
6 Resist 40 to all damage.
The Enhancement Bonus of the item depends on a few factors. First off, the level of the user. Second, the user’s Concordance Score with the item. And last, if the user is of Fey Origin, he receives a bonus. Consult the following tables for your result.
Concordance Score (Begins at 5)
|Score||Concordance Status||Status Effect|
|16 – 20||Pleased||+2 to Enhancement Check|
|12 – 15||Satisfied||+1 to Enhancement Check|
|5 – 11||Normal||+0 to Enhancement Check|
|1 – 4||Unsatisfied||-1 to Enhancement Check|
|0 or Lower||Angered||-2 to Enhancement Check|
Concordance Score Alterations
- Owner gains a level: +1d10
- Owner spends time reinforcing defenses of a location: +1 (Maximum +1 per day)
- Owner’s ally drops to 0 or fewer HP in combat: -1 (Maximum -1 per day)
- Perform action that helps the item’s secret agenda: +1
- Perform action that hinders the item’s secret agenda: -2
+3 to Enhancement Check
The Enhancement Check consists of the Level of the Owner + Any Bonuses from Concordance Score and Fey Origin.
|Check Result||Item’s Enhancement Bonus|
According to the Owner’s Concordance Score, they will receive the following additional benefits or penalties.
If the item is Angered, it loses the Cloak of the Gargoyle Utility Power and the owner takes a -2 item penalty to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will.
If the item is Unsatisfied, it loses the Cloak of the Gargoyle Utility Power.
If the item is Normal, it grants the owner the use of an additional item property, Stonecunning.
- Property – Stonecunning: Grants the User a +2 item bonus on Perception and Dungeoneering checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. When the User merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework, he can make a Perception check as if he were actively searching, and the User can use the Perception or Dungeoneering skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. The User can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
If the item is Satisfied, the Cloak of the Gargoyle Utility Power is empowered. The power can now be used on any ally within 5 Squares of the User.
If the item is Pleased, it also grants the Owner the use of the Wizard class’s “Conjure Fortification” power as a Daily Power. After the Owner uses this power, he may recharge it by expending a Healing Surge. The power may only be used once per Encounter, however.
- Conjure Fortification – Daily – Arcane, Conjuration – Standard Action – Wall 5 Within 10 Squares – Effect: You conjure a wall of stone. The wall can be up to 1 square high, and at least 2 squares of it must rest on a solid surface. The wall lasts until the end of the encounter. The wall is blocking terrain. A creature can climb the wall with a DC 15 Athletics check.
The gem in this necklace was used to power and control a giant animated walking castle. The castle was buried underneath the Vilewater Marsh in the Goblin Kingdoms.
When trolls, ordered by unknown puppet masters, unearthed the castle and used it to attack the Goblin Kingdom’s capital city of Dragonstone, the party engaged in a multi-part epic battle to stop them.
When the castle was defeated and crumbled into piles of rubble, the gemstone remained behind.